(Review by Ann Alex)
Bebop Spoken There
Alan Luff: “The general view is that Ella’s songbook recordings are the supreme exemplars of sophistication, fine diction and creative voice in the wide field of popular music.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Steve Voce: “Most of us have been crashed into by cretins who walk along the road absorbed in the screens of their mobile phones.” – (Jazz Journal May 2017).
Today Monday May 22
Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Monday, May 22, 2017
Sunday, May 21, 2017
Saturday, May 20, 2017
Friday, May 19, 2017
- Dulcie May Moreno @ The Globe, May 21
- London Vocal Project - Jon Hendricks’s Miles Ahead...
- CD Review: VEIN - The Chamber Music Effect
- Alter Ego @ Blaydon Jazz Club - May 21
- Johnny Hunter Quartet @ the Jazz Café - May 19
- If Only the number 27 stopped on Park Avenue ...
- Discover Your Alter Ego at Blaydon Jazz Club
- Newcastle Grainger Market Late Shows - May 20
- CD Review: Tom Syson Sextet - Green.
- Dean Stockdale Trio @ The Lit & Phil, Newcastle - ...
- Frankly Sinatra - Stephen Triffitt @ Sage Gateshea...
- Strictly Smokin' Big Band at Ushaw College - Frida...
- Lickety Split @ The Globe, Newcastle - May 18
- JNE: Early Nite + Pete Tantons’ Riviera Quartet @ ...
- CD Review: Samuel Eagles' SPIRIT - Ask Seek Knock
- Cookin’ @ The Jazz Café - May 16
- DJAZZ : The Durham City Jazz Festival Friday 2nd –...
- CD Review: Quinsin Nachoff's Ethereal Trio
- The Jazztones @ The Quakerhouse, Darlington - May1...
- Philonious Funk @ Jesmond Library - May 13
- Sue Ferris @ Opus 4, Traveller's Rest, Darlington ...
- BLT on video
- Joy Ellis Quartet @ The Jazz Café - May12
- CD Review: Polly Gibbons - Is It Me...?
- Paul Taylor @ St Nicholas Cathedral, Newcastle - M...
- BABMUS @ The Jazz Café - May 11
- Last night at the Globe
- Look! The Broken Doll! The Globe!
- Visual Jazz – Gina Southgate Exhibition @ the Gall...
- Led Bib @ the Bridge Hotel May 5
- CD Review: George Colligan - More Powerful
- Keep an eye out for the Miriam Ast Quintet
- Snarky Puppy/House of Waters @ Sage Gateshead, May...
- Denys Baptiste's The Late Trane @ Pizza Express St...
- Arun Ghosh @ Family Tent, Cheltenham Jazz Festival...
- Paul Edis Sextet @ the Jazz Café - May 5
- An Evening with Lin Lee Wong @ The Cherry Tree - M...
- From Cullercoats to Copacabana - The Gala Big Band...
- Friday Night is Music Night
- Yazz Ahmed Halfla Band @ Parabola Arts Centre, Che...
- Chris Potter Quartet @ Pizza Express Stage, Chelte...
- International Jazz Day @ The Globe - April 30
- Darlington Jazz Festival: Dave O’Higgins @ The Maj...
- Darlington Jazz Festival: Jazz comes to the Quaker...
- Chick Corea Trio @ Big Top, Cheltenham Jazz Festiv...
- Meshell Ndegeocello @ Pizza Express Stage, Chelten...
- Sleepthief @ Sage Gateshead - April 29
- Jazz Café Jam Session - May 2.
- Darlington Jazz Festival: Matt Roberts Sextet @ Vo...
- Darlington Jazz Festival: Locomotive Rhythm & the ...
- CD Review: Chris Potter - The Dreamer is the Dream...
- The New Century Ragtime Orchestra - Summer Concert...
- ▼ May ( 52 )
- ► 2016 ( 990 )
- ► 2015 ( 1022 )
- ► 2014 ( 1036 )
- ► 2013 ( 1099 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
About this blog - contact details.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)